MAXI OWNERS ASSOCIATION
Annual General meeting – 26th April 2013
Held at Warsash Sailing Club @ 1930hrs
Present:
Aloni ~ Jim & Jackie Burns
Asante ~ Andy & Sara Horwood
Blue Lightning ~ Peter & Sarah Sands
Blue Rider ~ Peter & Sue Stonestreet
Caribou ~ Tim & Sarah Phillips
Good Time Girl ~ Kevin & Annie Brown
Looking Foor Klos ~ Julian & Carolyn Trimming
Magewind ~ John Skipper
Resolute ~ David & Violet Lewis
Suive ~ Richard & Lorraine Sams
Apologies:
22 apologies received & 3 votes by Proxy (numbers to be advised)
Chairman’s Report:
Andy Horwood opened the meeting by summarising the events of 2012.
One notable event of 2012 was the change of ownership of the Maxi Brand, which has now been acquired by “Delphia Yachts”
There were 6 events scheduled in the Solent area in 2012 and it was noted that support for events in the early part of the season was down. This was partially due to poor weather.
The East Coast area, despite the efforts of Rod Minkey, has struggled to make any progress in invigorating activity back to the levels that had been enjoyed in earlier years.
There were no reported events from other areas.
With the “Maxi” brand now being owned by “Delphia Yachts” it was suggested that if they have an owners association, linking up with them may be a way forward to boost numbers and encourage less active members of the MOA to get involved in events. Peter Stonestreet agreed, through his contact with Delphia, to investigate further.
On the racing circuit, Maxi’s are again well represented in the upcoming Royal Southampton YC Double Handed series with several Maxi’s competing.
Thanks were expressed to those present for their attendance
Treasurer’s Statement:
Balance of our accounts at the end of the 2011/12 year was:
Current account: £1667
Savings account: £4100
Costs over the year:
Website hosting £79.00
AGM Costs £59.00
Rallies £243.00
There is a significant balance in the Associations bank account. Ideas were canvassed for ways this money could be used for Association development and activities.
One suggestion was to have produced caps, with the Association logo which could be given to each boat member. In principle, this was agreed but consideration to possibly giving something other than caps (possibly shirts). Costs for different options will be sourced for consideration by the Committee.
John also proposed, and it was agreed, that the Association contribution towards the rally pontoon party would be increased from £3 to £5 / head
Membership.
Sara provided an updated membership list for the website showing 53 paid up boat members and 4 associate / honorary members, indicating membership levels have fallen slightly over the past year. However, having recently sent out a membership reminder it is anticipated numbers equal to last year will be achieved.
Election:
The existing committee was proposed for re-election en bloc, Andy Horwood, John Skipper, Rod Minkey, Peter Stonestreet, Sara Horwood, Peter Sands, and were unanimously elected
Andy Horwood is currently acting as Web Master, posting updates as they become available to keep the website looking active. However, a member is sought to take on this role and maintain the web site / keep software updated etc.
Carolyn Trimming offered to support the web master is sourcing / editing articles for the site, but felt unable to take on any technical activity. Her offer of help was gratefully accepted
Other memberships:
The following were proposed and re elected: Mick Nelmes and Hugh Rowan as Honorary Members; SD Marine as associate member; John Haskins Marine – technical advisor as associate member.
It was questioned whether the Honorary memberships need to be continued as there had been no contact with those members for some years. John Skipper proposed, and it was agreed, that we should maintain it for the current year and he would try to make contact with these members to determine their current interest in maintaining their membership.
Area Coordinators:
The area coords are as set out on the website.
A rally program is published on the web site.
Peter Sands outlined the programme for the Solent with currently just 3 events planned and requested organisers to come forward to arrange additional events.
John Skipper offered to arrange an event at the Folly Inn and will enquire on available dated and report back. The offer was accepted with thanks.
Rally reports have traditionally been a positive advert for these events and acted as encouragement for new members to get involved. Over recent years these have not been produced and it is requested that a brief report with some photographs is provided following each rally (this does not need to be done by the rally organiser) which can then be posted on the website
It was noted, as referred to in the Chairman’s report, that the momentum for rally participation in other areas had been lost
Members in many areas are widely dispersed and it was suggested that perhaps this is the reason for the lack of rally activity.
Chris Wildey has recently relocated Vouvray, his 1100, to Dartmouth so it is possible he may be prepared to generate some activity in the South West.
Newsletter
The news letter has not been produced for a number of years due to the lack of available material to fill its pages.
Current thinking is that the web site is a better medium to publicise activities and information as it can be done on a more regular basis than the once a year with a printed newsletter, and individual articles can be posted (removing the need to amass several articles to justify a print run)
Web Site
The website has benefited over recent years from investment in new software and in members time, to get it to the stage is currently stands.
We are actively seeking a web master to maintain and develop the site. Anyone willing to consider taking over this role is asked to contact the Chairman.
With the help of Carolyn, as noted elsewhere, it is hoped the website will become the main focus of information publication in place of the news-letter.
Development Activities
Rally Participation
Increasing Membership Participation
AOB
Peter Stonestreet suggested the Association may wish to purchase the Maxi spares originally held by Nimbus, to make them available to Members.
In principal this was seen to be a good idea but would need careful consideration in terms of cost, transport, storage, distribution etc. Peter Stonestreet agreed to try and establish what has happened to these parts since the demise of Nimbus and Najad and report.
No other items were tabled and the meeting was closed at 2045hrs.